Keeping your gutters clean is an essential part of maintaining your home. Clogged gutters can…
It Comes With The Territory
Gutter cleaning is one of those messy, dirty, and rather unglamorous chores of home ownership – but a necessity if you expect your gutter system to do its job of protecting your home from water intrusion, roof and foundation damage, mold growth, and property erosion. Too often, however, this task falls victim to an out-of-sight, out-of-mind mentality … or a mindset of simply not wanting to take on the time- and labor-intensive and dangerous job.
Knowing how often your gutters need to be cleaned – and sticking to that schedule – will go a long way in ensuring a clear and free-flowing system … and peace of mind!
Know Your Area
There is no one set answer to the question of how often your gutters should be cleaned. We highly recommend that gutters be cleaned at least twice each year, and more often based on your specific area, environment, and weather. Factors to consider include:
- Frequency of rain: Areas, where it rains more often or consistently throughout the year, will require more frequent gutter cleanings, whereas, in drier climates, gutters may only need to be cleaned twice a year.
- Proximity and number of trees: Leaves, branches, pine needles and cones, twigs, acorns, seeds, bark, and all sorts of debris will inevitably make their way into your gutters from overhanging trees or trees in close proximity to your home. Depending upon your environment, wind-blown dirt and sand will settle in your gutters as well. In such cases, it will be necessary to inspect and clean your gutter system more frequently throughout the year, such as quarterly.
- Below-freezing temperatures: If you live in a climate with frigid weather, you’ll want to ensure that you have your gutters cleaned and checked prior to winter to ensure that they are flowing freely and unobstructed. Any trapped water caused by clogs could freeze and cause damage not only to your gutter system but to your roof and underlying materials.
- Severe storms: The strong winds and heavy rain of any intense storm will surely cause leaves, branches, and other debris to fall, and your gutters are a prime target and open vessel for their accumulation. It’s important to clean your gutters following such weather events since the impact could be significant, and it will only continue to worsen as your gutters take in more of the debris that typically falls around your home.
- Telltale signs: Your gutter system will give you clear clues that attention is needed, such as water overflowing the sides, sagging or bulging gutters, or staining on your siding. It’s essential that you heed these warning signals and have your gutters cleaned and inspected without delay in order to avoid real damage or deterioration to your home and property. See “Telltale Signs that Your Gutters Need Cleaning.”
If you’re looking to have your gutters professionally cleaned, our highly experienced, fully insured, and ladder-safety certified crews stand ready to serve! At Clearly Amazing, we’re your convenient single source for a full menu of exterior cleaning, sanitizing, and lighting installation services.
Contact us today to schedule your cleaning or to request a free estimate – and be sure to ask about our Gutter Protection Plans, which put your gutter cleaning on automatic, give you greater peace of mind, and deliver valuable savings!