A Necessity, Not a Luxury
Is gutter cleaning really necessary? Gutters are simply rainwater receptacles, so there really isn’t anything that could go wrong, right? Ask anyone who’s experienced water infiltration, roof or foundation damage, mold growth, or property erosion from clogged gutters – and who wishes they’d been diligent about keeping their gutters clean – and you’ll get a resounding “wrong!”
False Sense of Security
Gutter cleaning is one of the most overlooked – or delayed – home maintenance tasks. You may put it off thinking that gutters are pretty self-sufficient and don’t require much care and attention, or you simply don’t think about it because they’re not in plain view. Unfortunately, this can create a false sense of security … while behind the scenes, the stage is being set for potential serious issues to develop.
Small Investment That Prevents Big Problems
Yes, gutters do serve to channel rainwater away from your home and foundation, and as long as there are no obstructions, they can carry out this critical function. The challenge, however, is that with environmental factors in play, your gutters become a prime target for leaves, branches, pine needles, bark, roofing materials or granules, and just plain sand or dirt to gather. If not cleaned out, clogs form and impede water flow – and a number of major issues can result.
There are many possible costly consequences of NOT cleaning your gutters regularly …
- Roof damage: Clogged gutters cause rainwater to build up, which can then seep under your roof’s shingles. This can lead to cracked shingles, damage to underlying materials, and water infiltration into your attic.
- Foundation damage: Water spilling over the sides of your gutters from clogs will pool around your foundation, and, ultimately, stress the structure and cause cracking of the foundation wall. Any cracks or movement allow for water to enter your basement – and seriously compromise your home’s structural integrity.
- Fascia board damage: Improperly maintained gutters can cause trapped water to saturate the wooden panel to which your gutters are attached, resulting in rotted wood and water infiltration. The gutters can even tear away from the fascia board from the strain of the water and debris they’re carrying and unable to clear.
- Water infiltration: Not only can water make its way into your attic and basement, but it can seep into your walls when it’s not being properly channeled away from your home.
- Mold and mildew growth: Any standing water or water entering your home creates the environment for mold to grow and thrive. Your attic or a basement crawl space, for example, could be taking in water over a prolonged period of time without you even being aware, exposing you and your family to toxic mold.
- Landscaping erosion: Plants, shrubs and trees need water to grow and survive, but too much water will have the opposite effect. Excess water can lead to soil erosion and root rot, which will kill your plants. Your mulched beds will retain the water and further exacerbate the situation.
- Unwanted guests: Clogged gutters are a critter and insect paradise. Birds, mice, rats, squirrels and possums will be happy to serve themselves the feast that lies within … and possibly damage your gutters in the process. They can get into your attic through any opening, and even into your walls. The trapped water in your gutters is a breeding ground for mosquitos. Termites and carpenter ants will gladly feed off of and live in any rotted wood, and their damage could cause serious structural issues.
Gutter cleaning truly is a small but mighty investment that pays big in terms of averting costly damage, repairs and remediation and providing peace of mind.
If you’re looking to have your gutters professionally cleaned, our highly experienced, fully insured, and ladder-safety certified crews stand ready to serve! At Clearly Amazing, we’re your convenient single source for a full menu of exterior cleaning, sanitizing, and lighting installation services.
Contact us today to schedule your cleaning or to request a free estimate – and be sure to ask about our Gutter Protection Plans, which put your gutter cleaning on automatic, give you greater peace of mind, and deliver valuable savings!